Healing Food Of The Bible
Have you ever wondered which foods were considered healing by the people in the Bible?
There are several references to food as medicine. In addition to the well-known story of Jesus turning water into wine, there are also plenty of other examples of food being used for healing. The book of Proverbs is full of advice about how eating certain foods can improve your health and make you feel better.
The Bible also contains information about what kinds of foods are best for healing specific diseases or conditions. For example, if someone has a fever, its recommended that they eat chicken soup or drink orange juice.
Right here on Churchgist, you are privy to a litany of relevant information on 10 healing foods from the bible,forbidden foods in the bible, and so much more. Take out time to visit our catalog for more information on similar topics.
Bible Verses About Food To Eat
The Bible mentioned food several times both in the Old and the New Testament. These verses about food in the Bible are meant to inspire and encourage you to make better choices of food to eat. They also serve as a guide on what food is designed by God to be eaten and which ones are not.
Let us take a look at these Bible verses:
The message that God brings us is simple – to delight in what you eat and to eat what God has intended you to eat. When you eat what is right and good for you, this will not only impact your physical body but also your mental, emotional, psychological, and spiritual well-being.
And this is what total wellness is all about which is brought about by consuming the right food that meets your dietary requirements, at the right time, and with the right amount. It is all about maintaining balance and equilibrium with the food you eat!
What Are Clean And Unclean Foods
When you go on the Bible diet, there are only certain kinds of food that you can eat. Certain foods are clean and should be eaten while others are unclean and should be completely avoided.
Acceptable Biblical foods:
- Trees whose edible yield is bearing seeds or is seed To put it simply, this kind of food is mostly fruits. All fruits are acceptable in the Biblical diet, just as long as they come from seeds. Fruits from fruit trees are okay to eat, as well as anything that grows on a vine, a shrub or anything with a woody bark tissue.
- Plants whose edible yield is bearing seeds or is seeds This classification refers to anything that may grow on plants that are not necessarily trees. Examples of seed-bearing plants include squash, tomatoes, corn and beans.
- Field plants Field plants or plants of the field are the next thing on the list, which can consist of herbs, roots and green, leafy vegetables.
- Clean meat Now this ones a little detailed because the definition of clean meat is pretty complex. According to Leviticus, clean meat is defined as the meat of every animal that has the hoof cloven in two and chews the cud. Examples of clean meat include the ox , buffalo, sheep, goat, deer, gazelle, antelope and mountain sheep, just to name a few. Examples of unclean meat include pig, camel, hare and rock badger. The Bible also instructs us not to eat the blood of animals or to eat any meat that has been sacrificed to idols.
Don’t Miss: Natural Healing Remedies For Cancer
What Did Jesus Say About Eating Food
All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall. So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.
What foods did Jesus eat?
Based on the Bible and historical records, Jesus most likely ate a diet similar to the Mediterranean diet, which includes foods like kale, pine nuts, dates, olive oil, lentils and soups. They also baked fish.
The 10 Most Healing Foods In The Bible
1. Olives and Olive Oil When the Lord your God brings you into the land that He promised to give you, great and splendid cities that you did not build, and houses full of all good things that you did not fill, and hewn cisterns that you did not dig, vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant, and you eat and are satisfied.
The Jews were the worlds top olive traders at the time. This valuable item was utilized for various purposes in antiquity, including healing, cooking, lighting lamps, soaps, cosmetics, and even coinage. Olive oil was so revered in an ancient society that it was even used to anoint monarchs and priests. As a result, the Hebrew word for Messiah is Moshiach, which means anointed one!
Regular use of olives and olive oil has benefited heart, brain, skin, and joint health in studies. Theyve even been connected to the prevention of cancer and diabetes. So this holy cuisine has lived up to its illustrious history!
2. Pomegranate For the Lord, your God is bringing you into a good country, a land of brooks of water, fountains, and springs, gushing out in valleys and hills a land of wheat and barley, vineyards, fig-trees, and pomegranates, olive oil and honey. 8:7-8
3. Fermented Grapes Let him kiss me with his lips kisses! Because your love is more valuable than wine.
4. Flax Who can find a better wife than Flax? For she is worth much more than diamonds She enjoys looking for wool and Flax and working with her hands. and
Don’t Miss: Jergens Ultra Healing Body Balm
What Kind Of Food Did People Eat In The Bible
The Israelites ate manna forty years, until they came to a land that was settled they ate manna until they reached the border of Canaan. Exodus 16:35
Food in the Bible includes wholesome and natural foods such as grains, honey, fruits. As for their beverages, milk and wine were mentioned in the scripture but the kind of wine they had back then had none of those nasty additives that we have today.
There was no junk food, no food loaded with additives, preservatives, and artificial flavor and color. Food was eaten in its natural state, although our ancestors in the Bible also cooked certain food items such as bread and meat. When our Father in heaven created the world and everything in it, He blessed them all. Everything that God made is good – the trees, the animals, the vegetation, and so on.
Man and woman were made according to His own image, and these first humans were in a state of complete physical perfection. All the cells, tissues, and organs were functioning as they should. They ate what God told them to eat, and they took care of all the creations just as how a good steward must be.
Spices Seasonings And Herbs
Exodus 30:23 NLT: Collect choice spices12 pounds of pure myrrh, 6 pounds of fragrant cinnamon, 6 pounds of fragrant calamus.
Numbers 11:5 NIV: We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no costalso the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic.
In the Old and New Testament, scores of spices were used as both food and medicines, as well as in making perfumes or incense, and were given as expensive, royal gifts. Today, cumin is a great source of minerals such as calcium, potassium, and zinc and is rich in B-complex vitamins. Cinnamon, known for its aromatic fragrance, as a spice has one of the highest antioxidant values known. Today garlic is often linked with helping heart and immune issues. Other spices of the Bible include coriander, frankincense, mint, dill, balm, aloes, myrrh, and rue. Each contained healing properties such as promoting digestion, aiding the immune system, relieving pain, or fighting infections.
Many of the biblical food spices make great additions to savory meals. In small quantities, cinnamon makes a great addition to deserts, smoothies, apple cider drinks, or even coffee.
Don’t Miss: Best Supplements For Healing Back Pain
The Advantages Of A Biblical Diet
These dietary limits may seem to be a lot of effort, but what about the benefits? Those who follow Biblical diets and consume Biblical foods should expect to get the following advantages, according to Rubin:
A diet rich in unprocessed foods, fruits, and vegetables is optimal for weight reduction. Fruits and vegetables that are natural and fresh have fewer calories and are simpler to digest than processed meals.
A longer life expectancy
According to Rubin, some of our forefathers who followed the Biblical diet lived for 120 years or more. Although we may not live to that age, studies suggest that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is associated with fewer or no health problems, implying a longer lifetime.
Improved mood and more energy
We notice it right away when our bodies are out of balance due to bad eating habits. As a result, we may feel ill, lethargic, and downhearted. Conversely, eating well may help us feel more energized, regulate our hormones, and boost our mood.
Differences Between Clean And Unclean Foods
When you follow the Bible diet, you are only allowed to consume particular foods. Certain foods are considered clean and should be consumed, while others are considered unclean and avoided entirely.
Biblically permissible foods include:
- Trees whose edible output bears seeds or is a seed to put it another way, this kind of food consists mainly of fruits. As long as they derive from grains, all fruits are allowed in the Biblical diet. Therefore, fruit from fruit trees and anything that grows on a vine, bush, or has woody bark tissue are safe to consume.
- Plants whose edible product contains or bears seeds Anything that grows on plants that arent necessarily trees falls into this category. Squash, tomatoes, maize, and beans are examples of seed-bearing plants.
- The next item on the list is field plants, sometimes known as plants of the field, including herbs, roots, and green, leafy vegetables.
- Clean meat This one is a bit more complicated since the concept of clean meat is rather broad. Clean meat, according to Leviticus, is flesh from any animal that has its foot cloven in two and chews its cud. The ox , buffalo, sheep, goat, deer, gazelle, antelope, and mountain sheep, to mention a few, are examples of clean meat. Pig, camel, hare, and rock badger are examples of filthy meat. According to the Bible, we are also not to ingest animal blood or flesh that has been sacrificed to gods.
Also Check: How To Heal Broken Bones Faster
Recommendations And Benefits Of A Biblical Diet
Is it possible to lose weight by following the Bibles teachings on food and eating? Founder of the Bible Diet, author of The Makers Diet and motivational speaker Jordan S. Rubin believes so! According to him, the Bible Diet is heavily influenced based on the teachings from the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy and the only food considered acceptable or clean is the only kind that should be eaten.
Recommendations from The Makers Diet
The four classifications of food is the foundation of a Biblical diet. There are also other important things you should consider when starting or following a Biblical diet:
- Water, sunshine and exercise. These three are absolutely key to good health. You should always remember to drink lots of water, get lots of exercise and go outside. I recommend one quart water daily for every 50 pounds of weight. Also, its important to drink high quality water.
- Eat safe, clean meat. This means abstaining from certain kinds of meat and seafood such as pork, lobster, clams and mussels, shrimp and catfish.
- Eat foods that are in season. The Bible states that everything has a season. This should also be our attitude when it comes to picking out the things we eat. Lean towards eating fruits, vegetables and herbs that are in season, as theyre fresher and better for your health.
- Eating raw. Eating uncooked raw food is very much encouraged. Some vegetables may need to be cooked, but a majority of them can be enjoyed raw.
Benefits of Following a Biblical Diet
Healing Foods Recommended By The Bible
Treating our bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit includes eating naturally healthy foods. It is not surprising that God has given us many good food choices in his Word. If you want to add a healthy diet, here are 10 healing foods from the Bible:
1. FishLeviticus 11: 9 TLB: “As for fish, you can eat anything with fins and scales, whether it comes from rivers or the sea.”
Luke 5: 10-11 MSG: Jesus said to Simon: There is nothing to fear. From now on you will go fishing for men and women. They pulled their boats onto the beach, left them, nets and all the rest and followed him.
In God’s instructions to his people in the early days of the Bible, he specified fish from rivers or seas with fins and scales. In the days of Jesus, fish represented a basic food and at least seven of his disciples were fishermen. On several occasions he ate fish with his disciples and performed two miracles using a boy’s lunch of small fish and loaves of bread to feed thousands of people.
According to Jordan Rubin, fish are an excellent source of nutrients and proteins, as well as healthy omega-3 fatty acids, especially those caught by cold water sources such as rivers and oceans: fish such as salmon, herring, trout, mackerel and white fish. . The American Heart Association recommends consuming two servings of fish per week to include heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids in the diet.
Recommended Reading: Meniscus Heal On Its Own
Glorify God With Food
Do this by drinking water and giving thanks. Do this by giving food to the needy. Do this by inviting people over to eat. Give God all the glory.
15. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Can Christians eat pork?
Can Christians eat shrimp? Can Christians eat shellfish? We have all heard these questions and the answer is all food is permissible.
16. Romans 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.
17. 1 Corinthians 8:8 But food does not bring us near to God we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.
What Does The Bible Say About Food And Eating
Whether meat, seafood, vegetables, fruits, etc. All food is more than a source of energy. It is a blessing from the Lord. When Scripture talks about food its not always talking about the physical. Sometimes it is talking about the spiritual and the spiritual food is something that most people neglect and that is why many are not healthy.
Don’t Miss: If You Stop Smoking Can Your Lungs Heal
Top 10 Bible Foods That Heal + The Biblical Diet
Whether you eat, drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.
~ 1 Corinthians 10:31
All throughout the Bible, references are made to the medicinal properties of foods and herbs. Representing health and longevity from Almighty God, the importance of diet and of preparing and eating food was oftentimes seen as a spiritual act. If you want to consume some of the most common foods mentioned for their health properties in the Bible, then youll want to try these top 10 healing Bible foods.
But first, lets look at what foods the Bible considers clean vs. unclean. Of course, all of the healing foods land in the clean category.
Goat Milk And Products
Proverbs 27:27 TLB: Then there will be lambs wool enough for clothing and goats milk enough for food for all your household after the hay is harvested, and the new crop appears, and the mountain grasses are gathered in.
Raw goat milk and cheese were plentiful in Bible times and were not pasteurized like our modern food. More easily digestible than cows milk, goats milk also has less lactose and contains multiple vitamins, enzymes, and proteins. According to Jordan Rubin, 65% of the worlds population drink goats milk. It can help in the treatment of inflammatory diseases, is a complete protein, and is also useful in soaps.
Read Also: How To Heal Dry Cracked Fingers
Sprouted Grains And Breads
Ezekiel 4:9 NIV: Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side.
In the Bible, bread appears repeatedly as the substance of life. Jesus even referred to Himself as the Bread of Life. The bread in Bible times used none of the modern and damaging refining methods of today. The kind of nutritious bread they served often involved the sprouting of natural grains and was a basic part of their diets.
Whole grain sourdough and sprouted-grain breads involve the soaking or fermenting of grains overnight until the seeds are partially sprouted. This process actually make these carbohydrates more easily digestible. A recent study showed that wheat sprouted for 48 hours had a higher count of amino acids, dietary fiber, and antioxidant activity. Ezekiel bread is one kind of sprouted bread that boasts of great health benefits.
You can find both pros and cons about this nutritious bread. More and more grocery stores are stocking flour made from spelt, barley, or other healthy grains. Spelt flour is one of my favorites, and while it is a heavier flour, I substitute it in recipes for all my flour needs, including pies and gravies.