Essential Oils For Hypothyroidism
Up to 20 million Americans have some sort of thyroid disease , and the most common go-to remedy is prescription medication or synthetic hormones that must be maintained for life! If you want to bypass prescription medications, ease common ailments and symptoms, and support thyroid healing, keep reading. Today, were talking specifically about Hashimotos Thyroiditis and the best essential oils for hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is thought to happen when the body starts to create a lot of inflammation that attacks the thyroid and wears it down. The truth is, science doesnt exactly know what truly causes hypothyroidism, and there is a lot of misinformation out there. What we do know are the symptoms:
- Cold hands and feet
These symptoms are where essential oils come in. Oils are natural remedies that work to ease symptoms and support a strong and healthy thyroid. Here are six essential oils for hypothyroidism.
When Your Thyroid Is High
It would be unfair if I didnt share my knowledge about hyperthyroidism, or Graves disease , so heres what I suggest from an EO standpoint.
Mix 15 drops of lemongrass with 15 drops of frankincense, two drops of myrrh , as well as 10 drops of lemongrass into a container with a tablespoon of apricot or almond oil. This can be sniffed or applied topically to your throat area a few times daily.
Dont ingest that, its topical. Dilute as you desire, leave out the myrrh or replace with sandalwood. This EO blend should help you deal with anxiety, stress, anger, agitation, tremors and insomnia. You dont have to have hyperthyroidism to use this, in fact all of you dealing with stress could try it.
Suzy Cohen is a registered pharmacist. The information presented here is not intended to treat, cure or diagnose any condition. Visit SuzyCohen.com.
How To Use Essential Oils For Thyroid Problems + 3 Recipes
You can exploit the healing properties of essential oils for thyroid in these 2 ways:
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of clove essential oil
- 12 drops of myrrh essential oil
- 12 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 12 drops of citronella essential oil
- 10 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops of clove essential oil
- 10 drops of myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 10 drops of basil essential oil
- Fractionated coconut oil
Also Check: Scriptures Of Healing The Body
Diet & Environmental Factors
Inflammation dictates a leaky gut, which in turn increases the risk of thyroid problems .
The root cause of many thyroid issues is imbalanced diet, processed foods, leaky gut, exposure to chemicals, and too much inflammation . Here is how:
- Low thyroid levels are related to having too few antioxidants.
- High thyroid levels cause oxidation and inflammation.
- A leaky gut allows chemicals to enter the body that can drive inflammation and toxic burden.
Stress, imbalanced diet, food intolerances, toxins, and lack of protective plants in our diet also create this inflammatory response and low antioxidant levels .
Essential Oils For The Thyroid
The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland situated in the front of your throat that produces and releases hormones. Your thyroid helps regulate your metabolism, your emotions, your brain function, and almost all the other processes in your body.
Thyroid issues, including hypo-thyroid, hyper-thyroid and auto immune thyroid conditions like Hashimotos, can present as symptoms like:
- Fatigue, Low Energy or sleeping challenges
- Brain Fog, Difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness and lack of focus
- Poor quality hair and nails
- Sensitivity to temperature
- Depression, anxiety and other mood disorders
Don’t Miss: Heal N Soothe Where To Buy
Best Essential Oils For Thyroid
How it helps: Peppermint oil helps calm depression, headaches, brain fog, fatigue and digestive problems that occur as a result of an underactive thyroid. This oil is tasty and easy to include in your daily diet.
How to apply: Just make a cup of hot water with lemon and add a drop of peppermint oil to make a nice cup of tea. You can also add a drop of peppermint oil to chamomile tea.
How it helps: Frankincense oil helps relieve constipation, indigestion and dry skin that may be caused by an underactive thyroid. Also, frankincense can help with a sound sleep by reducing stress or other intense feelings.
How to apply: Take a drop of food-grade frankincense oil orally to improve digestion and balance hormone levels, which works the same as digestive enzymes.
How it helps: Lavender oil helps people with anxiety problems, stress, insomnia and hair loss related to thyroid problems.
How to apply: For good results, you can rub the oil in your pillow, add a few drops to your bath or combine it with shampoo to massage your scalp.
How it helps: Lemongrass oil is one of the essential oils for thyroid. It helps with headaches, digestive problems and inflammation caused by an underactive thyroid.
How to apply: This oil can be used for cooking – add a drop in your herbal tea. You can also use it in your bath or apply it on your skin.
9. Other Essential Oils
What Are Essential Oils
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants via distillation or mechanical extraction, such as cold pressing. These compounds contain the plants aromas and flavors, or essences, in an ultra-concentrated form.
Extracted oils can be inhaled, applied topically, or ingested, depending on the type of oil and concentration. Some oils will need to be combined with a carrier oil to dilute it before topical application, as they are too potent on their own.
Its important to note that certain oils are contraindicated for use around pets, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children. Additionally, those with multiple chemical sensitivities and asthma may need to avoid essential oils altogether. However, most people are able to use essential oils, and for many, they have become an important part of a daily routine that has helped them overcome stress which in turn, has made an impact on their overall health.
Read Also: How To Heal Herpes Mouth Sores Faster
Myrrh Essential Oil For Thyroid
Antioxidants play an important role in balancing thyroid hormones. They safeguard the body against the damages caused by oxidative stress. A lack of antioxidants in the body can constantly cause increased damage and stress to the thyroid glands.
Myrrh essential oil is rich in antioxidants and immune-protective properties that curb the ill effects of oxidative stress and relieve the thyroid glands. When used in combination with frankincense essential oil, myrrh essential oil forms a powerful thyroid blend that reduces the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Conventional Medical Approaches To Thyroid Treatments
- Treatment Options For Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism or the condition of having an overactive thyroid is commonly treated with drugs that act as beta-blockers. Other options for hyperthyroidism are antithyroid medications, radioactive iodine treatments, or in some cases, thyroid-removal surgery.
- Treatment Options For Hypothyroidism
An underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism often requires the intake of synthetic thyroid hormones for its treatment. The idea is for synthetic hormones to supplement the gap that is left because your body is not producing enough. Levothyroxine is a commonly prescribed synthetic thyroid hormone.
To brief, essential oils for thyroid can help you with a variety of symptoms associated with thyroid dysfunction like fatigue, inflammation, depression, anxiety, and brain fog. Some of the best essential oils that can support your thyroid treatment include lavender, lemongrass, ginger, frankincense, and chamomile. You do need to consult with your physician before using any of these. Also, do remember to never replace your prescribed thyroid medications with them.
Recommended Reading: How To Heal Autoimmune Disease
Daily Thyroid Support Essential Oil Blend Recipes:
Essentail oils to apply daily over the thyroid :
In a 10mL roller bottle combine.
3 drops Frankincense
The Lifelong Vitality pack also includes these key elements proven to support the thyroid:
· Selenium supports healthy hormone balance
· Iodine supports healthy thyroid function. Foods that contain Iodine include fish, seaweed, eggs, raw dairy and sea vegetables. Its also in doTERRAs multi-vitamin VMz which is part of the Lifelong Vitality Pack .
· B12 beneficial for the central nervous system, cell health, natural energy
· DHA, EPA Omega -3s fish or plant oils critical for brain and thyroid function and immune support. Over 1000 mg are included in the xEO mega portion of the LLV pack.
These supplements make a profound difference for those that take them including me! I can tell right away when Ive forgotten to take mine. These supplements fill in the nutritional gaps and so you will have more energy and feel fantastic! They are a key part of my daily self care.
Diet, of course, plays a KEY role for all of our body systems. Do your research, but in general, avoid processed sugars, grains, unhealthy oils, etc. for optimal health.
Finally, dont forget about SLEEP. Getting enough sleep, to bed by 10, also helps your adrenal glands stay on a healthy schedule. In fact, this greatly affects your other organs as well and keeps your ENERGY up! Click HERE to learn more about essential oils for sleep.
Buy your Thyroid Support custom kit HERE
See What You Will Learn And How To Cope And Heal Your Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- What is the Thyroid?
- The Reasons for Your Annoying Symptoms
- How Understanding Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism Can Help You
- Aromatherapy: History and Use
- 27 Essential Oils to Help Heal Your Thyroid: and how they can help
- Aromatherapy Methods: Topical, Oral, Inhalation and Reflexology
- Essential Oils Safety
- Diet, Exercise and Homeopathy To Relieve Your Thyroid Symptoms
- How to Manage Stress
- How to Get More Sleep
- How Heal the GI Tract and Detox the Liver
- How To Put it All Together and Next Steps to Take
- And So Much More!
- Publisher :Independently published
- Language :English
You May Like: How To Heal Strep Throat
Frankincense For Overall Health And Balance
Frankincense is one of my favorite essential oils. Many of the things frankincense essential oil helps with are issues either caused by thyroid imbalance, or like memory issues, can result from thyroid imbalance.
Frankincense essential oil is great for addressing immune health , chronic and inflammatory diseases , brain and memory disorders, autoimmunity, asthma, skin conditions, inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, and even cancer!
Top 3 Essential Oils To Relieve An Underactive Thyroid
An underactive thyroid, also known as hypothyroidism, is where your body isn’t able to produce sufficient amounts of thyroid hormones. This failure of your hormonal system results in symptoms including joint pains, pregnancy difficulties, and weight gain. In some cases, there may be no noticeable symptoms present in a person affected by an underactive thyroid gland.
Also Check: Prayers In Spanish For Healing
How Can I Support Healthy Thyroid Function
If you suspect youre experiencing thyroid problems, consult with your healthcare provider.
Medication like synthetic hormones or radioactive iodine may be needed.
Whatever your recommended treatment options are, adopting specific lifestyle changes can also help support healing and maintain a healthy thyroid.
Here are ten empowering habits and lifestyle changes you can adopt today to boost thyroid health:
- Manage your stress and anxiety to support balanced cortisol levels.
- Understand how your emotions and perceptions impact your health and thyroid.
- Use essential oils and aromatherapy to support physical and mental health.
Essential Oils For Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid is overactive, making more of the hormone thyroxine than the body needs. Because the thyroid hormone affects many systems within the body, it can create problems if it is not controlled.
Some symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
Hyperthyroidism also can cause your thyroid gland to enlarge, forming a goiter, which can affect your ability to breathe and swallow.
Along with following your current treatment plan, you may wish to consider using the following essential oils to help ease some symptoms.
Also Check: How To Heal Sun Damaged Skin
What Are The Symptoms Of Hypothyroidism
While the symptoms of hypothyroidism vary greatly based on the body type and pre-existing diseases in an individual, some of the symptoms of the disease most commonly seen in people suffering from hypothyroidism are:
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Pale dry and rough skin
- Frequent muscle cramps and muscle aches
- Cold intolerance
- Abnormal menstrual cyclesUsually when you are diagnosed with a thyroid problem, doctors want to put you on medicine for the rest of your life. However, this old school approach of dealing with the problem is now being replaced with the use of alternative healing therapies like aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a natural healing alternative involving the use of essential oils to offer relief in thyroid malfunction conditions like hypothyroidism. Having said that, here are some of the essential oils you can use for effective management of the condition.
- Unfortunately, medical science is yet to find a cure for hypothyroidism. In general, once you have hypothyroidism, you will need to bear with it for life. However, that doesnt mean that the condition cannot be managed and one cannot lead a normal life.
What Does The Thyroid Do
The thyroid is responsible for regulating metabolic rate through complex mechanisms and regulatory controls.
Also Check: Essential Oils To Heal Wounds
What Causes Thyroid Imbalances
Thyroid issues can be caused by various factors like autoimmunity, micronutrient deficiencies, poor nutrition, unmanaged chronic stress, overwhelming toxin load, and inflammation.
Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks its thyroid tissues causes hypothyroidism.
Medication is often used to manage this autoimmune condition.
The thyroid uses iodine for hormone production, and an iodine deficiency can impair thyroid function.
Some Of The Best Foods For Thyroid Health May Already Be In Your Kitchen
- Brazil Nuts are a great source of selenium. The thyroid has the highest selenium content among your body organs, so deficiency may cause imbalances. They are high in omega 3s which reduce inflammation and normalize immune function. Try using them in a homemade nut butter!
- Cilantro is powerful herbal medicine in any form. While the essential oil benefits are amazing, simply eating fresh cilantro is a powerful detox , safe enough for daily use.
- Pears are high in fruit pectingreat for helping you detox and flush out heavy metals.
- Oranges are notoriously good for people with thyroid conditions, often recommended as one of the top three foods to eat daily.
- Pumpkin seeds are an important source of zinc which seems to have a symbiotic relationship with the thyroid glandadequate zinc is required to synthesize thyroid hormone, and thyroid hormones are essential for zinc absorption.
- Yogurt provides vitamin D for immune regulation, and vitamin D deficiency is linked to thyroid disorders. We use coconut yogurt for the healthy bacteria to improve gut health, without the dairy that Im sensitive to. If you arent dairy-sensitive look for organic, grass-fed yogurt.
- Kelp even a little bit gives plenty of iodine which is required to synthesize thyroid hormone. Ease into eating more kelp by replacing 1/3 of the salt in your salt shaker with powdered kelp.
Don’t Miss: Does Carmex Heal Cold Sores
Best Essential Oils Plus 8 Recipes For The Management Of Low Thyroid Conditions Of Hypothyroidism
Professor of Biopharmaceutical technology Industries , CEO & Founder of SR Biopharma Consult International Co – Egypt
Hypothyroidism is a medical condition in which the thyroid gland stops producing enough thyroid hormone. Low levels of thyroid hormones interfere with the bodys metabolic process, ability to maintain proper functionality of the cells and the ability to maintain healthy muscles and bones.
How Does The Endocrine System Get Out Of Balance
Our hormone levels fluctuate throughout the day. This is because the glands that create hormones vital for so many functions may under or over-perform for a number of reasons.
Your endocrine system may start to get sluggish if:
- You do not get enough sleep regularly
- You are constantly stressed
- You are exposed to high levels of environmental pollutants and toxins
- You are exposed to first-hand or second-hand cigarette smoke
Estrogens present in exhaust and paint fumes, plastics, pesticides, and some cosmetics also affect the endocrine system adversely.
Do you get out in the sun regularly? Did you know that only 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure is all you need for your body to create healthy vitamin D levels? Low vitamin D levels can wreak havoc with your endocrine system.
Don’t Miss: How Long For Anal Fissure To Heal