What Did Jesus Eat
We have learned about the different food in the Bible and how choosing the right food can impact ones health and longevity. But did you ever wonder what food Jesus ate?
The Bible depicted occasions when Jesus ate bread and drank wine with his disciples. It is also typical during the 1st century for a Jewish person to eat legumes such as fava beans, lentils, and chickpeas. Fruits were also consumed including figs, dates, pomegranates, and grapes. As for meat products, those that were often consumed were goats and sheep, as well as fish.
The Mediterranean Pyramid, which has one of the most solid and oldest foundations among all the other food pyramids, mainly included whole and natural foods. In Dr. Steve Parkers book, The Advanced Mediterranean Diet, he stated that this diet is linked with overall better health and longevity, as well as a lower incidence of cancers and cardiovascular diseases. Combined with an active lifestyle, this supported longevity.
This is why I believe in eating fresh, wholesome and natural food. When cooked or eaten raw, these foods nourish your cells, provide you with a great amount of energy, and help you thrive and feel your best – just like those centenarians in the Bible!
Biblical Diet Recommendations And Benefits
According to the Bibles diet and eating guidelines, is it feasible to lose weight? Jordan S. Rubin, the founder of the Bible Diet, author of The Makers Diet, and motivational speaker, think so! According to him, the Bible Diet is significantly inspired by the teachings of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, and the only food deemed acceptable or clean is the only kind that should be consumed.
The Makers Diets Recommendations
The cornerstone of a Biblical diet is the four classes of food . However, there are a few more things to think about while beginning or sticking to a Biblical diet:
- Water, sunlight, and physical activity are all beneficial. These three are essential for optimal health. Always remember to drink plenty of water, exercise often, and go outdoors. For every 50 pounds of weight, I suggest one quart of water every day. Its also critical to consume high-quality water.
- Consume only clean, safe meat. This means avoiding pig, lobster, clams and mussels, shrimp, and catfish, among other meats and seafood.
- Seasonal meals should be consumed. Everything has a season, according to the Bible. This should also be our mindset when it comes to deciding what to eat. Seasonal fruits, vegetables, and herbs are healthier for your health since they are fresher.
- Raw food consumption. It is strongly recommended that you consume raw, uncooked food. Although certain vegetables must be prepared, the majority may be eaten raw.
The Top 10 Foods Of The Bible That Heal And Nourish
Ancient wisdom from the Bible about what we should eat is still relevant today.
Ancient biblical wisdom, primarily found in the Old Testament of the Bible, references a variety of foods that the Bible identifies as having healing properties or being beneficial to good health and longevity. These foods often identified as clean foods in the text are the basis for several popular diet plans including the Makers Diet. These plans focus on eating foods that come from seed bearing trees or plants, herbs roots and green leafy vegetables and clean meat from animals with a cloven hoof and seafood with fins and scales. Interestingly insects such as grasshoppers, locusts and crickets are allowed however not common food choices in todays western culture.
Studies of biblical diets show that they do have a beneficial impact on the wellbeing of those who follow these diet plans. Energetically eating cleaner foods results in cleaner energetic and physical bodies. The documented benefits of biblical diets include weight loss, longer lifespans with fewer health complications, increased energy, balanced hormones and improvement in mood and overall outlook on life. Some dieters claim that following a biblical diet was a key factor in curing disease. Others choose to follow a biblical diet not for health reasons but as a part of their spiritual practice.
Read Also: Cindy Trimm Prayers For Healing
The Advantages Of A Biblical Diet
These dietary limits may seem to be a lot of effort, but what about the benefits? Those who follow Biblical diets and consume Biblical foods should expect to get the following advantages, according to Rubin:
A diet rich in unprocessed foods, fruits, and vegetables is optimal for weight reduction. Fruits and vegetables that are natural and fresh have fewer calories and are simpler to digest than processed meals.
A longer life expectancy
According to Rubin, some of our forefathers who followed the Biblical diet lived for 120 years or more. Although we may not live to that age, studies suggest that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is associated with fewer or no health problems, implying a longer lifetime.
Improved mood and more energy
We notice it right away when our bodies are out of balance due to bad eating habits. As a result, we may feel ill, lethargic, and downhearted. Conversely, eating well may help us feel more energized, regulate our hormones, and boost our mood.
Full List Of Food In The Bible Are You Eating The Best Ones
Download your FREE copy of Food in the Bible!You’ll also be added to our free newsletter!
What is the secret to thriving health? Is it the latest fad diet? Or the newest weight loss pill? Or perhaps the most sophisticated exercise machine? If we read the Bible, we will find that the answer is clear and simple:
“What, know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are Gods .
To achieve good health, you have to understand and internalize the fact that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit What this means is that you should take care of it by feeding it with the right food, which will not only positively impact your physical body but also your mental and spiritual health.
For Christians, the act of caring for the body is an act of stewardship.
We are either the OWNER of our body or the STEWARD of our body.
God has given you that body, and He expects you to feed it, give it rest, exercise it properly, and to grow in both the mind and the spirit. Your body is designed to give glory to God because He owns it. And by feeding, this means eating food as how God designed it to be consumed Just like how our ancestors in the Bible ate.
Read Also: How Long Does It Take Sprain Ankle To Heal
Goat Milk And Products
Proverbs 27:27 TLB: Then there will be lambs wool enough for clothing and goats milk enough for food for all your household after the hay is harvested, and the new crop appears, and the mountain grasses are gathered in.
Raw goat milk and cheese were plentiful in Bible times and were not pasteurized like our modern food. More easily digestible than cows milk, goats milk also has less lactose and contains multiple vitamins, enzymes, and proteins. According to Jordan Rubin, 65% of the worlds population drink goats milk. It can help in the treatment of inflammatory diseases, is a complete protein, and is also useful in soaps.
What Kind Of Food Did People Eat In The Bible
The Israelites ate manna forty years, until they came to a land that was settled they ate manna until they reached the border of Canaan. Exodus 16:35
Food in the Bible includes wholesome and natural foods such as grains, honey, fruits. As for their beverages, milk and wine were mentioned in the scripture but the kind of wine they had back then had none of those nasty additives that we have today.
There was no junk food, no food loaded with additives, preservatives, and artificial flavor and color. Food was eaten in its natural state, although our ancestors in the Bible also cooked certain food items such as bread and meat. When our Father in heaven created the world and everything in it, He blessed them all. Everything that God made is good – the trees, the animals, the vegetation, and so on.
Man and woman were made according to His own image, and these first humans were in a state of complete physical perfection. All the cells, tissues, and organs were functioning as they should. They ate what God told them to eat, and they took care of all the creations just as how a good steward must be.
You May Like: How Long Does It Take For Pulled Muscle To Heal
Top 10 Bible Foods That Heal + The Biblical Diet
Whether you eat, drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.
~ 1 Corinthians 10:31
All throughout the Bible, references are made to the medicinal properties of foods and herbs. Representing health and longevity from Almighty God, the importance of diet and of preparing and eating food was oftentimes seen as a spiritual act. If you want to consume some of the most common foods mentioned for their health properties in the Bible, then youll want to try these top 10 healing Bible foods.
But first, lets look at what foods the Bible considers clean vs. unclean. Of course, all of the healing foods land in the clean category.
Sprouted Grains And Breads
Ezekiel 4:9 NIV: Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side.
In the Bible, bread appears repeatedly as the substance of life. Jesus even referred to Himself as the Bread of Life. The bread in Bible times used none of the modern and damaging refining methods of today. The kind of nutritious bread they served often involved the sprouting of natural grains and was a basic part of their diets.
Whole grain sourdough and sprouted-grain breads involve the soaking or fermenting of grains overnight until the seeds are partially sprouted. This process actually make these carbohydrates more easily digestible. A recent study showed that wheat sprouted for 48 hours had a higher count of amino acids, dietary fiber, and antioxidant activity. Ezekiel bread is one kind of sprouted bread that boasts of great health benefits.
You can find both pros and cons about this nutritious bread. More and more grocery stores are stocking flour made from spelt, barley, or other healthy grains. Spelt flour is one of my favorites, and while it is a heavier flour, I substitute it in recipes for all my flour needs, including pies and gravies.
Don’t Miss: Best Way To Heal Blisters On Feet
What Are Clean And Unclean Foods
When you go on the Bible diet, there are only certain kinds of food that you can eat. Certain foods are clean and should be eaten while others are unclean and should be completely avoided.
Acceptable Biblical foods:
- Trees whose edible yield is bearing seeds or is seed To put it simply, this kind of food is mostly fruits. All fruits are acceptable in the Biblical diet, just as long as they come from seeds. Fruits from fruit trees are okay to eat, as well as anything that grows on a vine, a shrub or anything with a woody bark tissue.
- Plants whose edible yield is bearing seeds or is seeds This classification refers to anything that may grow on plants that are not necessarily trees. Examples of seed-bearing plants include squash, tomatoes, corn and beans.
- Field plants Field plants or plants of the field are the next thing on the list, which can consist of herbs, roots and green, leafy vegetables.
- Clean meat Now this ones a little detailed because the definition of clean meat is pretty complex. According to Leviticus, clean meat is defined as the meat of every animal that has the hoof cloven in two and chews the cud. Examples of clean meat include the ox , buffalo, sheep, goat, deer, gazelle, antelope and mountain sheep, just to name a few. Examples of unclean meat include pig, camel, hare and rock badger. The Bible also instructs us not to eat the blood of animals or to eat any meat that has been sacrificed to idols.
Spices Seasonings And Herbs
Exodus 30:23 NLT: Collect choice spices12 pounds of pure myrrh, 6 pounds of fragrant cinnamon, 6 pounds of fragrant calamus.
Numbers 11:5 NIV: We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no costalso the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic.
In the Old and New Testament, scores of spices were used as both food and medicines, as well as in making perfumes or incense, and were given as expensive, royal gifts. Today, cumin is a great source of minerals such as calcium, potassium, and zinc and is rich in B-complex vitamins. Cinnamon, known for its aromatic fragrance, as a spice has one of the highest antioxidant values known. Today garlic is often linked with helping heart and immune issues. Other spices of the Bible include coriander, frankincense, mint, dill, balm, aloes, myrrh, and rue. Each contained healing properties such as promoting digestion, aiding the immune system, relieving pain, or fighting infections.
Many of the biblical food spices make great additions to savory meals. In small quantities, cinnamon makes a great addition to deserts, smoothies, apple cider drinks, or even coffee.
You May Like: Heal Our Land Bible Verse
Milk Butter Cheese Cream Curd
Genesis 18:18, Numbers 14:78, Deuteronomy 32:14, Judges 4:19, Proverbs 27:27, Isaiah 55:1, Ezekiel 25:4, Joel 3:18, 1 Corinthians 4:7
Raw, clean milk sourced from thriving pastured cows is a complete food. If you had to, you could even live on it. It is full of beneficial enzymes, protein, vitamins, and minerals that are at higher levels in raw milk than processed milk. Raw milk is also highly digestible and easily absorbed by your body.
But if you have an intolerance to lactose, dont fret – you can still get all those good nutrients from dairy without the discomfort. Lactose intolerance began when milk started to be processed by large industries and the food was altered. Yogurt is regarded for a number of health benefits as it prevents colds, reduces bad cholesterol levels, improves bowel function, helps fight breast and colon cancer, prevents allergic reactions, boosts the immune system, and prevents intestinal infections.
Just an 8-ounce of yogurt will give you 35 to 45% of the daily recommended dietary calcium requirement. You can eat yogurt on its own, add it to your muesli, use it as a topping to your baked goodies, and so much more!
Differences Between Clean And Unclean Foods
When you follow the Bible diet, you are only allowed to consume particular foods. Certain foods are considered clean and should be consumed, while others are considered unclean and avoided entirely.
Biblically permissible foods include:
- Trees whose edible output bears seeds or is a seed to put it another way, this kind of food consists mainly of fruits. As long as they derive from grains, all fruits are allowed in the Biblical diet. Therefore, fruit from fruit trees and anything that grows on a vine, bush, or has woody bark tissue are safe to consume.
- Plants whose edible product contains or bears seeds Anything that grows on plants that arent necessarily trees falls into this category. Squash, tomatoes, maize, and beans are examples of seed-bearing plants.
- The next item on the list is field plants, sometimes known as plants of the field, including herbs, roots, and green, leafy vegetables.
- Clean meat This one is a bit more complicated since the concept of clean meat is rather broad. Clean meat, according to Leviticus, is flesh from any animal that has its foot cloven in two and chews its cud. The ox , buffalo, sheep, goat, deer, gazelle, antelope, and mountain sheep, to mention a few, are examples of clean meat. Pig, camel, hare, and rock badger are examples of filthy meat. According to the Bible, we are also not to ingest animal blood or flesh that has been sacrificed to gods.
Read Also: The Patron Saint Of Healing
The 10 Most Healing Foods In The Bible
1. Olives and Olive Oil When the Lord your God brings you into the land that He promised to give you, great and splendid cities that you did not build, and houses full of all good things that you did not fill, and hewn cisterns that you did not dig, vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant, and you eat and are satisfied.
The Jews were the worlds top olive traders at the time. This valuable item was utilized for various purposes in antiquity, including healing, cooking, lighting lamps, soaps, cosmetics, and even coinage. Olive oil was so revered in an ancient society that it was even used to anoint monarchs and priests. As a result, the Hebrew word for Messiah is Moshiach, which means anointed one!
Regular use of olives and olive oil has benefited heart, brain, skin, and joint health in studies. Theyve even been connected to the prevention of cancer and diabetes. So this holy cuisine has lived up to its illustrious history!
2. Pomegranate For the Lord, your God is bringing you into a good country, a land of brooks of water, fountains, and springs, gushing out in valleys and hills a land of wheat and barley, vineyards, fig-trees, and pomegranates, olive oil and honey. 8:7-8
3. Fermented Grapes Let him kiss me with his lips kisses! Because your love is more valuable than wine.
4. Flax Who can find a better wife than Flax? For she is worth much more than diamonds She enjoys looking for wool and Flax and working with her hands. and